Tuesday 31 May 2011

Tamara's Journey to Getting Into Shape - Part 1

No, I did not do Zumba Gold. I will not become SWISBOB (She Who Is Shamed by Old Bitties). But today, as I was not scheduled to work, I decided to finally get off my butt and go to the gym. 

You see, I've had a gym membership for a little more than 4 years. I've gone through phases of going to the gym regularly, but I've had commitment issues. During the last few months, my activity level has decreased, I've been sleeping poorly and feeling like junk. And, for the last few months, I've been saying I need more activity to keep me healthy and feeling better (and if I'm lucky, maybe a little slimmer too!). So I think I've finally begun to commit to it (I didn't have to work and got out of bed before 10 am - that's pretty solid proof). 

Today, I went to Body Jam. I had gone once before (4 years ago) and it was fun. I was also 4 years younger, probably 15 - 20 pounds lighter and generally in better shape. If you have no sweet clue what Body Jam is, it's a class that uses dancing for exercise. So today I went. I was nervous, because it's about 2 months into the class schedule and I was imaging a room full of people who've been taking the class for 2 months now and know the choreography, and I'm going to look like a dork. In front of strangers. Who may judge me, and will definitely see how easily I perspire. But alas, I confronted my fears and showed up.

There were four other people there besides me: Pretty Young Thang 1, Pretty Young Thang 2, Old Bitty and SuperMom. I don't really know if the last one was a mom, but she struck me as a woman in her 30s or 40s, with a couple of kids, an SUV, loads of organizational skills and tons of activities to keep her busy.

It turned out that PYT 1 & 2 were first timers like me, so I felt a little better. When class started, there were a few times that it took me a couple of times to get a move down, but I was keeping up. From my glances at myself in the mirror, I didn't look terribly out of place or anything, so I felt ok. PYT 1 seemed like she had dance experience, which made me feel slightly inferior. But I was smart and chose a spot behind a big pillar so I was safe from criticism. 

As I'm dancing my heart out (and my butt off), my heart rate increase, I'm sweating like nobody's business, and my face is splotchy and red. Basically, I'm SUPER attractive at this point, and thinking I hope class is almost over because if I keep dancing I may die right here. I look at the clock. Fifteen minutes had passed. FIFTEEN FREAKIN MINUTES!!! My heart felt like it might explode, and there were still 45 minutes left of this torture (fun, I mean fun!). I would not quit. I persevered.

More time passes. After 30 minutes into the class, Old Bitty leaves. I have outlasted 1 person. YEA! In case you didn't know, I consider EVERYTHING a competition. Not long after, SuperMom is on her way. Woo-hoo! It's just me and the Pretty Young Thangs.

Around the 45 minute mark, I learn exactly how out of shape I am. Still red in the face, my shirt is now soaked, and my blood is pumping harder than before. Feelings of impending doom pass over me. I fear I may drop to the floor in cardiac arrest. Ok, that's an exaggeration. But I did feel like I might throw up. I had to ease up. I had lost. I could not outlast PYT 1 & 2, and I could dance harder, better, faster, & stronger than them. (N-n-now that that don't kill me, can only make me stronger - sorry, I'm having a Kanye moment). But I did not just leave. I may have been out danced by the Pretty Young Thangs, but  I was NOT going to drop out like an old woman. So I stuck around. I couldn't dance the rest of the time, so I divided my time between pacing (staying still would have wreaked havoc on my body as my heartbeat would have suddenly slowed down), and joining in when I could.

In the change room I commented to another member that I understood now why they had a defibrillator on site. I think I scared her. She was all "Do you want me to get someone? Do you need me to get you water". Apparently my joke was lost on her. I've got to be more clear with my 

So, Body Jam kicked my butt. But this is not the end for me and my nemesis. I WILL return, and I WILL last to the end without having a near-death experience. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment