Saturday 14 May 2011

I'll Let You in on a Little Secret...

Getting a teaching degree does not guarantee you a job right away, in the school district closest to you, in your preferred subject, or a job at all. For some reason, many people seem to think that it does (based on the questions I get asked). People seem to think that there is an abundance of teaching jobs at all levels and for all subjects (although I could probably have 10 jobs if I could teach French), and that by my own choosing I can have the very one I want. Not true.

I'm not sure WHY people think this way - who gets to pick their own job simply by wanting it, or being qualified for it? Who gets to walk up to the person responsible for hiring wherever it is they want to work and say "Hey, I'm going to work here. When do I start?" No job is procured this way (unless you're starting your own business).

So here are my responses to the questions/comments I often receive when forced to discuss my career.

Note: I don't actually say these things to people. This is what I wish I could say, with some rationale for it.

Q: Are you teaching full-time?

A: Nope, I'm a substitute teacher.

This is where people start to pity me, as if being a substitute leaves me no chance of ever being a 'real' teacher. I AM a real teacher. The fact that I'm working for a board gives me a leg up on competition when applying for contract jobs. Don't feel sorry for me, because I don't feel sorry for myself.

P.S. Supply teachers don't have to do any prep, or any marking, and if they have a really difficult class they can choose to never see them again. Not a bad deal! Sure, the work is not regular but once you get exposure you can pretty much work as much or as little as you want. Especially if you are good at what you do - teachers will actually request you specifically instead of playing the supply teacher lottery.


Q: So where do you teach?

A: Simcoe County. You know, the Barrie area, a about an hour (or more) away from here.

This is where people find it incredulous that I commute an hour for my job. Even people that live in Barrie, and even though many people in that area are commuting to Toronto (which is a nasty commute that no one seems to thing is out of the ordinary). I have a relatively traffic-and-accident-free ride, with some pretty nice scenery. It is long, but not frustrating. And I get to drive really fast! :)


Here comes my favourite question:


Q: Why don't you work for (whatever school board is not too far away)?

A: Because given these high gas prices I just want to spend, spend, spend by driving approximately 160 km (total) every day that I work. Paying for gas is good fun and I enjoy spending my money on it, rather than saving for a house, new lap top, sewing machine or other stuff I'd like to have but can't yet purchase.

Ok, I don't actually say that. But I think it's a pretty dumb question. Why would I willingly work far away from home if opportunities nearby were available? Really? Demographics may be different in these areas, but the challenges are similar. I'm not with my current board because it's a special place I just MUST work in. I'm there because it's the board that hired me and I'd rather commute to gain experience in my field than work closer to home at a job I'd rather not do and did not spend years educating myself for. 


Q: I know so-and-so who's a teacher. Maybe they can help you get a job.

A: Maybe.

This question isn't so bad. I would like to point out that teachers don't hire other teachers. Unless the person is a principal or works for human resources of that board, they cannot guarantee anything. A teacher can only refer me to a principal, and in some boards a principal can either interview me or refer me to human resources. But, honestly, you know this person and I do not. Getting me in touch with them is not a quick-fix (so don't expect the connection to result in a job immediately). I only feel right if someone who can actually vouch for my teaching abilities, knowledge of curriculum and other practices related to teaching, and my character gives me a referral. I don't feel comfortable with someone saying things about me they do not know for themselves, and feel that people shouldn't do that (I wouldn't). It can put them in an awkward position. This person will have to take time to get to know me in order to help me out. If they are willing, and if this is possible, fantastic. Just don't assume this is the case.

Q: Why don't you go to schools and give them your resume and talk to the principal?

A: I don't do this because for some boards, you are actually discouraged from doing this. Yes, it works for some people, or has in the past. However, many times due to hiring procedures in which principals are not allowed to accept resumes this way, you are turned away. I would do this if it felt appropriate to do so, however interrupting a very busy administrator to look at my resume when I've been instructed not to do so in the first place, and regardless of whether they are  hiring or not doesn't seem like a good idea. In some fields, this is how you get jobs. But not all fields are the same. Please be assured that I am looking into how I should be applying for jobs by following the advice given to me by my teachers' college, speaking with colleagues and following the instructions that school boards provide me with.

Q: Why don't you teach English overseas? You're young, you should travel!

A: If I wanted to teach English, I would have studied to be an English teacher. If I wanted to work overseas, that's what I'd be trying to do. Yes, I'm young. I'm also connected to family and friends here, which I find quite valuable, and don't feel like leaving them for an extended period of time because the perception our society has of young people is that our experiences are more valuable when they happen overseas. Yep, there are places I want to go, on vacation, just like you. Other than that, I'm happy where I am.

I actually found this question interesting when I was still unmarried, because I'm just thinking why people think it's a good idea for me to take off by myself to a country I know little about, don't speak the language, and know no one. Yes, I can make friends, learn the customs, etc. But living an working in a country isn't the same as going on vacation there - you may not have a guide to warn you of dangers of which you are unaware, or to even help you function as a member of society. I know of people who have done this and faced some pretty traumatic experiences as a result. It can be an awesome experience for some people, but please do not assume it is a good experience for ALL people. 


Q: Well, I'm sure you're a great teacher. You'll find something soon!

A: Yes, I like to think I'm a pretty good teacher (not experienced enough for greatness yet, I don't think). And I hope so too!

I'll admit this compliment kind of bugs me, because I can only partially appreciate it. I appreciate that based on my personality and character this person thinks I'm good at what I do, however, I cannot take it as more than that - a compliment about my personality. It does not really build up my perception of myself as a teacher, as the person giving me the compliment has not seen me teach and knows nothing of my qualifications. When this compliment comes from a student, colleague or supervisor, then I'm ecstatic.

By now you probably think of me as some ogre who can't appreciate the good intentions of others, or the fact that they mean well. It's not that I don't appreciate that people think good things about me, or want good things for me. But here's the deal: a lot of these questions are coming from people I'm only acquaintances with. I'm forced to explain myself, and sometimes it feels like even validate myself, to people who know little about me. The worst time I had with this situation was the six months I was unemployed following a pretty difficult first year of teaching at a private school. In addition to second guessing myself based on the tough year I had,  I had several people asking me about whether I had a job, and why I didn't have a job, and so on on a regular basis. Basically, several times a week I was reminded that I was jobless and that the resumes I was sending out were often being overlooked.

I say these things to make people aware of what it feels like to be in my shoes, and so maybe they can be a little more sensitive. When you meet a teacher, or prospective teacher, don't grill them with questions about why they don't yet have their dream job. If you have some useful knowledge or advice (because you actually know something about how to get a teaching job, no guesses please!), send it my way. If not, just wish me well and leave it at that.

Ok, my rant is over now!

No comments:

Post a Comment