Sunday 24 April 2011

I Spend Too Much Time Thinking About Commercials

You know how you can see/hear a commercial (tv or radio) so much that you have the song memorized? Have you ever caught yourself idly humming/singing one of these songs? I have. Interestingly enough, I don't think I've ever sang or thought of the jingles at a relevant moment (i.e. the iTravel2000.com jingle while I'm booking a flight or vacation). But alas, due to my television watching and radio listening, these sneaky little songs get trapped in my mind, and from time to time they torment me by playing on repeat in my head for far too long. I'll even sing them out loud sometimes. I know. It's messed up.

One commercial that bugs me nearly every time I see it is the Home Hardware commercial. Specifically the "Homeowners helping homeowners". Honestly these are the thoughts I have when I hear that:
If I wanted to work at home hardware, would they care that I rented?
If I want to shop there, would their employees suddenly refuse to serve me when it was learned that I do not, in fact, own a home?
Why do they promote themselves by sounding so stinkin' exclusive?
Now you may say, "It's just a catchy saying", "You're being ridiculous!", etc. And you'd be right.

But you see, my mind doesn't care that it's ridiculous. No, my mind bugs me with these thoughts and takes time to analyze this kind of stuff regardless of how pointless doing so is. Although, I will admit, I don't really want to shop at Home Hardware in part because of their commercial. So I guess my over analysis does have some use for my decision making.

There are some commercials I love. The old Marine Land commercial used to be a favourite. I can't think of any others at the moment. I just wanted to end on a more positive note.

No comments:

Post a Comment