Friday 26 October 2012

Small Acts. Big Difference.

Sometimes there is pressure to do things on a grand scale, whether it's throwing a party or personal accomplishments. Such as graduating from university. It's ok to graduate, but it's much better to graduate with honours, awards, and about 5 years earlier than expected. I'll admit, I often feel unskilled and unimportant since I haven't really done anything on a grand scale. But there are instances that remind me that the little things are important too (and sometimes can have a great impact).

When I was in university (we're talking 5 - 9 years ago - I can't remember exactly when this happened) I was home during the day and my dog (Teeka) needed to go for a walk. She wasn't the easiest dog to walk, as she was very picky about the places where she would "go". And she was a bit anti-social. Sometimes downright mean, but that was mostly with family. She was pretty civil with the general public.

I had just exited my building with Teeka, wanting to get  the walk over with as quickly as possible, when I passed a man who stopped to play with her. He was gentle, and kind. She was on her best behaviour, and let the man pet her. I kept trying to come up with an exit strategy when the man began to speak. I cannot recall his exact words, but I'll paraphrase what he said below.

"I love dogs and kids. They don't care who you are, they always take time to play with you. They make you feel important."

I believe he mentioned that adults sometimes ignore him.  As I listened to him, I was glad I stopped. I can't be certain, but it seemed he had a disability. I realized that because he was different, a lot of people made him feel small, unimportant, or insignificant. And I almost did the same thing that so many other people had done - brushed this man off to continue on with my day. Honestly, there wasn't a good reason for me to be in a hurry. I just wanted to get back to my computer, or t.v. or something equally lame. My desire to rush was purely selfish. I felt ashamed.

Here's the thing: I probably didn't change this man's life, but hopefully I helped make his day a little brighter. I helped create a memory that would remind him that he has value, and a memory that would humble me and remind me that the easiest way to spread love in my community is to set aside a little bit of time to give someone my attention. I am reminded that everyone matters, and I shouldn't make time for people because of their appearance, ability, gender, race, religion, sexuality, political views, etc. I should make time for people because they matter. That's it.

Grand gestures, huge fundraisers, big shows,  or accolades are not a requirement to make a difference. This doesn't mean these things aren't good - it's just that they aren't the be-all and end-all for making a difference. Something as small as starting a conversation, smiling, holding a door open, or giving up your seat on the bus (which people need to do more - but I'll save that rant for another day) can impact someone. It can encourage, motivate, start a friendship, and more. And I believe a string of small acts can go a long way, and create a big change.

So what did I do with this realization? I try to be considerate. If I'm at a store, and I've picked up something I no longer want, I make the effort to put it back where I found it (in the same condition I found it). Sometimes I even straighten things up a little if I can. I try to remember to smile when I catch someone's eye. I return my shopping cart to the corral (and sometimes take a stray cart along with me). I respond if someone tries to make conversation. If an opportunity to encourage someone comes up, I take it. Sometimes I get a case of the grumpies and don't stick to this plan very well, but I hope that little by little I get better at pushing my feelings aside to do something nice for someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment