Thursday 28 June 2012

I'm Nerdy and I know It!

First order of business - happy tau day!

What is tau, you ask? I'll explain. The constant pi has an approximate value of 3.14. Pi represents a 180 degree rotation, or a semi-circle. The constant tau is twice as large as pie. Its approximate value is 6.28, and it represents a 360 degree rotation, or a full circle.

What does this all mean? On pi day we celebrate half of a pie. On tau day we celebrate the whole thing!!! Which gives us an excuse to eat more pie (or other round foods). So, hooray for tau day!

Second on the agenda - more reasons why I am a gigantic nerd. I was expressing an appreciation for The Lord of the Rings at work. I may have mentioned that I would like to walk the path to Mordor (although one does not simply walk into Mordor). This means, go to New Zealand and check out where they filmed the movies. And, *gasp*, one of my co-workers accused me of being a nerd! And she even wondered how in the world I managed to land a husband. Well, here's how: my husband loves and knows Lord of the Rings more than I do. Yep. We're nerdy together. It's awesome. We're actually excited about the fact that The Hobbit is coming to theatres this year.

Tonight, my husband and I had the following conversation:

Alex: Do you know Paul Oakenfold?

Me: Is he related to Thorin Oakenshield?

*If you get the reference (without having to look it up), you are awesome. If you don't, you are forgiven, but have some reading to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment